Friday 10 February 2017

Norrin_Radd Plays - Super Dyna'Mix Badminton (NES 1988)




For those that don't know, Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei were the gold and silver medalists in the 2008 Olympics and the 2012 Olympics.

For almost a decade both of these men were the number 1 and 2 ranked players in the world. Lee Chong Wei was the number one ranked, meaning he won the most games the most often. However, Lin Dan the number 2 ranked would win the tournaments that counted, and was widely considered to be the best player. and it was Lin Dan who had won the gold the prior two Olympics.

For the 2016 Olympics, both players were still favourites to win, and there was a ton of excitement about whether it would be a finals match between both of them again, and if so, who would win. Well, as fate would have it, their rankings throughout the year in the professional circuit pitted them against each other in the semi finals, and although it was not for all the marbles, we got to see these two guys finish their trilogy, and it was amazing!

I wont spoil it here, but I will share with you the hype video I did leading up to their game by playing one of my all time favourite games: Super Dyna'Mix Badminton!

This might be the only badminton simulation that has ever been made for consoles, but they got it absolutely perfect. No need to make others. I originally played this game through emulation when I was in highschool, and before I had a decent controller. One thing I noticed and loved was just how savage team China was as a final boss in the game.

A lot of that has to do with the nuance of the games mechanics itself. While the game is excruciatingly fair, it is also leads to you having to really earn your points, and China does not goof around. While it took me years to be able to beat China with a keyboard, I eventually found a copy of this game on eBay and was finally able to play the game with a decent controller. What a world of difference!

After that, I knew that the game wasn't just an oddity with ridiculous difficulty, it really was one of the best sports simulations. Especially considering the era it was released. This is absolutely a desert island kind of game, and I really just wanted to make a video to break down why the game is so awesome. And if I could hype of the rematch between Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei, all the better!

Enjoy!

Also, watch the highlights from the rematch here


No comments:

Post a Comment